It is given that molds are serious cause for concern when they appear inside the house (or outside, for that matter). The health risks of molds are serious, especially for some people who have more sensitive respiratory systems. Getting rid of spores, in addition to regulating moisture inside the home, is a good way to minimize or even eliminate the chance of mold growth in the house. For spores that do survive regular and thorough cleaning, homeowners should remove them as soon as possible to avoid its spread. And it should be a thorough clean, of course, as mold spores are known to seep into the surface of where they grew.

Interestingly, there’s a type of mold, which is not really a mold, which some households are finding hard to remove. Pink mold is stubborn and will require frequent cleaning if health is of utmost concern for everyone in the house. What makes it stubborn compared to regular molds is the fact that it isn’t really a type of mold, to begin with. It’s actually a type of bacterium that’s just as fond of moisture as the typical mold it is mistaken for. Bathrooms are the most prominent places it is found in because, well, bathrooms are the dampest parts of any home. There’s no arguing that.

In the bathroom, pink mold specifically accumulates on shower curtains and tile grout. Sadly, there’s really no way to eliminate the accumulation of this pinkish-orange bacteria. Addressing pink mold problem is more on managing and maintenance than a one-off effort. It’s the same analogy as mowing the yard or removing weeds from a garden. Just like vacuuming the carpet, removing pink mold should be considered as a regular household cleaning activity. But then again, it’s really not that frequent anyway. Even in a worst-case scenario where the bacteria are so dense in a certain home, cleaning doesn’t have to be a daily thing.

Nevertheless, it pays to also observe preventive measures in order to reduce the frequency of pink mold growth. Sanitizing is an effective way to do so. Sure, cleaning with a brush and soapy water does a lot in keeping these bacteria at bay, but using strong cleaning agents like bleach or alcohol-based agents can be more fitting. Although, it’s not recommended to use them often since constant exposure to these harsh chemicals can irritate the skin. In some cases, it can even cause breathing problems.

For serious pink mold problems, like a house that’s left unoccupied for more than a couple of months, it’s more reasonable to contact experts in mold clean-up. The technicality of a pink mold being a bacterium instead of a fungus doesn’t stop them from considering it as a part of their service. Besides, the problem is quite similar and it falls along their line of expertise. While the Internet is able to provide tips on how to handle extreme pink mold growth, it would be impractical and to a considerable extent – dangerous to try and clean it out on one’s own.