Cars with under or over-inflated tires can lead to a lot of problems while moving on the roads, from poor handling, low mileage to premature wear & tear of tire due to overloading. Checking your tire pressure regularly is the best solution available to ensure the correct air pressure in our car.
Correct tire pressure is very important because of the three main reasons. Firstly, under-inflated tires make it harder to handle our car on the road, impairing our ability to steer, accelerate, and brake. Secondly, over and under-inflation wears tires quicker, as the wrong portion of the rubber makes contact with the road surface. Lastly, incorrect tire pressure increases resistance due to friction, burning more fuel.
Now a day’s easy to use digital tire pressure gauges are available for ensuring the tire pressure of our car with some pretty honest reviews here.
STEPS TO ENSURE CORRECT AIR PRESSURE IN TIRES:
- Many of us don’t know exactly what tire pressure to be maintained for our vehicle, the good news is it’s very easy to find. Here are the lists of some places where one can find the manufacturers recommended air pressure:
- On a sticker on the driver door
- Car Owner’s manual
- Fuel door or trunk lid inside the car bonnet
The number mentioned looks something like ’40 PSI’, which indicates the minimum amount of air pressure needed to support the vehicle weight. Also, it’s very important to avoid the “MAX PSI” pressure listed on the wall.
- Check your tire pressure at an automatic inflation station or simply with a portable digital pressure gauge .Now a day’s a lot of easy to use digital pressure gauges are available in the market, please keep them handy for double check.
- Filling the tires at the perfect pressure depends directly on the type of air compressor being used, check out the following instructions:
- Set the air compressor at the desired tire pressure, generally, this should be according to the manufacturer’s recommended pressure.
- Remove the valve cap from the tire.
- Attach the compressor valve stem & push the hose for a tight fit.
- Press the lever or button on the panel to fill your tire.
- Beware of the station compressors at petrol stations as they could be inaccurate & faulty, so double-check with our personal digital air pressure gauge.
- After inflating the tires, if our tire is overinflated, release some air by turning the valve cap around and then pushing on the valve core. Again check the pressure & ensure refilling if under-inflated.
- Last but not the least, always after checking all the tires of the vehicle, please considers the same for the spare tire to ensure its readiness in the event of a flat tire.
Now after going through the step by step guidelines, it is very easy to ensure the exact air pressure for our cars. Also, it’s recommended for checking the tire pressure monthly twice to ensure optimal PSI.